Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hump Day Treat, Twenty days late edition

Yesterday, I read over at the For the Birds blog that October is Domestic Abuse Awareness Month. In the post, author Jessy writes that the month is "a time to honor survivors of domestic violence and intimate partner violence, to raise our voices against abuse and to think about working towards prevention." She also asks us to think critically about what we think domestic violence is, and what our attitudes are towards it. As she writes, one month doesn't really seem like enough time for such a heavy topic, but it could be a good time to start.

"Domestic violence" and "intimate partner violence" make me think about a lot of things. I have a lot of opinions about these issues that have been formed mostly by personal experience, as well as by readings in feminist and postcolonial theory that I've had to do for school.

But long before I began college, I listened to the song "Icy Blue" by Seven Year Bitch. I was maybe 13 when I first heard it, and I remember listening to the words and slowly comprehending what it was about. Somehow, 15 years later, the song is still powerful and timely. Listen and learn on this hump day.



1 comment:

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Dunno if you like DOA, MDC, GBH, DRI, Black Flag, the Meatmen, Bad Brains, DK, the Exploited, 7 Seconds, UK Subs... ?? Ol punk when they knew how to thrash? Now it's the same ol, same ol; they don't have any bawls besides scream'n-and-yellin. Ah, them were the days. I hope you ain't like that. God blessa youse -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL