Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hump Day Treat, Fallen Comrades Edition

I've had a few weeks to deal with it, but I'm still bummed: at Rock Camp last month, I got the incidental news that one of my very favorite local bands, Cheeky, "isn't really playing anymore," from a former member. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that "isn't really playing anymore" is a euphemistic way of saying that the band broke up.

Maybe 'broke up' is too strong a way of putting it. "Break up" implies that a deliberate decision was made by the band to stop working together. It also implies that there was some concrete entity, a working, functioning, and frankly ass-kicking thing to break. I don't know how the band made the decision to stop playing, so I can't say whether it's a real 'break up' in the traditional sense.

I've noticed that in this particular community, this 'scene' if you will, bands don't really 'break up'. Bands come and go, projects start and stop, and everyone kind of plays with everyone. When one of these bands stops playing, it's not this big thing, because everyone knows that new bands, new projects, and new music will come from it. There's something almost refreshing about this zen-like, anti-ego approach to making music.

But I sometimes worry about the lack of documentation of these bands. A band doesn't have to be together very long to make an impact (see the Sex Pistols for proof of this). I can't tell you how often I go to see local bands, I go to these great shows, and all I want is for other people who can't be there to have some access to this music. And, I want the people in the bands, some of whom I'm usually acquainted with, to receive some recognition, even if they aren't playing to get noticed.

To that end, today I post one of the handful of videos of Cheeky as today's Hump Day Treat. Turn up the volume, click play, rock out, and just think of all the amazing stuff these kids are going to do next on this humid hump day.



Hear more at Cheeky's myspace, where you can also find out how to order their Choke on a Cheeseburger 7" Wanna see more? Look up Cheeky on Just A Visual, an awesome site dedicated to documenting the New York and New Jersey scenes.

No comments: